Call for Student Innovation Challenge (gSIC 2022)
Entry Closing Date:
Extended to 30 July 2022
26 August 2022
Post Competition Exhibition:
27 August 2022
What is the Global Student Innovation Challenge (gSIC)?
The Global Student Innovation Challenge (gSIC) is an annual event held at each International Convention on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology (i-CREATe). It provides a platform to encourage students at post-secondary education, undergraduates and postgraduates level from all over the world to compete one another in developing creative and innovative devices or solutions to improve the quality of living of the elderly and people with disability. It showcases the talents and abilities of these students while providing an opportunity to work with clients and clinicians to develop these innovative ideas. It also facilitates cooperation and networking among the students and gives them an opportunity to listen to speakers from across the world and region.
There are 2 categories in this challenge:
Students are expected to apply User-Centered Design process to produce a solution that ‘makes life easier’ for its users or enhance the user experience (UX) or improves the quality of professional rehabilitation practice. The solution may or may not be technology based but needs to demonstrate the design in form and/or function.
Students are expected to apply principles in Engineering and/or Information Technology to design and implement Assistive & Rehabilitative Technology solution to address the issues/problems faced by the needy, their caregivers and clinicians. The solution must have engineering or technological component(s).
- This challenge is open to post-secondary education, undergraduates and postgraduates of any discipline. These include Universities, Polytechnics and Institutes of Technical Education students. Submissions are invited from all students at all stages of their academic studies mentioned above.
- There is no limit to the number of teams that may compete from any given academic institution and collaborations between institutions are allowed. Each team consists up to 5 members (students only). For the information of the registration fee per team and teachers / lecturers who accompany a team, please visit the website.
- Entries submitted should not exceed two years of development. All participants must provide proof that they are students at the time of work for the challenge was conducted.
- Successful teams will be required to prepare presentations on virtual platform (Please refer details in competition guideline).
- Selected teams will be notified by emails and are required to register for i-CREATe 2022.
- The teams will submit the gSIC 2022 Entry Form by the team leader and send the form to email@example.com
- Expert reviewers will evaluate submissions to be selected to attend the Global Student Innovation Challenge (gSIC) at i-CREATe 2022. Selected teams will be informed by email on or before 30 July 2022.
- Selected teams must register to attend the i-CREATe 2022 and they are entitled to attend all activities of the conference virtually or onsite.
- Selected teams will be expected to attend the gSIC virtually with videos presenting their design and innovation. Two videos are required for the final competition, one for oral presentation, one for prototype demonstration. The maximum length of the video for oral presentation is 8 minutes, and the maximum length of prototype demonstration video is 5 minutes.
- Please record your oral presentation video using the broadcasting software such as the PowerCam/EverCam (The speaker’s screen should be placed at the lower right corner of the screen). While there is no special rule for recording the prototype demonstration video. The two videos have to be stored in the format of mp4 and need to be uploaded to the website by the team leader. The website will be opened for uploading videos on 8 to 17 August 2022 and latest at 23:59 on 17 August 2022.
- The Judging Panel will view the videos and meet the selected teams during an online Q&A session on 26 August 2022. Schedule will be announced on the web site in the Q&A Session in early August 2022.